Creatine is one of the most popular and widely researched natural supplement, it turns into creatine phosphate in body. Creatine phosphate helps make a substance called adenosine triphosphate (ATP). ATP provides energy for muscle contractions.
Creatine has regularly shown to increase strength, fat free mass, and muscle morphology. Creatine is benefit in other modes of exercise such as high-intensity sprints or endurance training. The effect of creatine diminish as the length of time spent exercising increases. Even though not all individuals respond similarly to creatine supplementation, it is generally accepted that its supplementation increases creatine storage and promotes a faster regeneration of adenosine triphosphate between high intensity exercises. These improved outcomes, increases performance and promote greater training adaptation.
The body produces some of the creatine it uses. It also comes from protein-rich foods such as meat or fish.
|Body Weight||Loading Dosage / Day*||Maintenance Dosage / Day*|
|Below 155 lbs.||12-16 grams||4-8 grams|
|156 to 175 lbs.||13-17 grams||5-9 grams|
|176 to 199 lbs.||14-18 grams||6-10 grams|
|200 to 225 lbs.||15-19 grams||7-11 grams|
|Above 225 lbs.||16-20 grams||8-12 grams|
- The low side of the range represents 1-hour training, two to three times per week at a low level of intensity.
- Mid-range is 1-1/2 hours training three to four times per week at a medium level of intensity.
- High range is 2 hours training five to six times per week at a high level of intensity.
EFFECT OF CREATINE IN VARIOUS PHYSICAL ACTVITIES
- Increased one-repetition maximum (IRM) and/or peak power.
- Improved vertical jump.
- Increased work performed during repetitive set of maximal-effort muscle contractions.
- Enhanced single-effort sprint performance in sprints lasting 6-30 seconds.
- Improves high intensity exercise performance in events lasting 90-600 seconds.
- Increases AT ( anaerobic threshold) and maximal VO2 (the ability of the body to transport oxygen to the muscles).
Article by Dr. Manish Deepak Pardeshi